31 Aug GRAPEFRUIT AND BLUEBERRY MINI CAKES
The unexpected sweet and sour mix that will become your favorite.
BLUEBERRY SPONGE CAKE
- 3 Large eggs
- 150g White regular sugar
- 200 g Cake flour or All-purpose flour sifted
- 2 tsp (10ml) Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 g Vegetable oil
- 60 g Whole milk
- 60 g Grapefruit juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200g Blueberries
- Zest of 2 grapefruits
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C. Grease and flour 3 round 4 inch x 3.5 inch / 10cm x 9 cm cake pans.
- Mix together the blueberries and 1 tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- Mix remaining flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside
- Mix together milk, juice, oil, zest and vanilla extract. Set aside..
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whipping attachment, whip eggs and sugar together in high speed until pale and fluffy. 8 minutes.
- Add milk/oil mixture slowly and keep whipping on medium until totally incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients, one tablespoon at the time mixing in medium speed and increasing slowly until you see no lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. You can do this manually using using a rubber spatula.
- Add the blueberries and mix using a rubber spatula mixing very gently.
- Pour batter evenly into the cake pans and bake during 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Let the cakes to cool down at room temperature and cut each cake into 3 equal layers.
- 150 g Fresh grapefruit juice
- 50 g White regular sugar
- Mix both ingredients into a small size saucepan and cook in medium heat until the sugar has been completely dissolved,
- Brush the warm syrup into the cake layers.
- Reheat the leftover syrup again in a small saucepan until the liquid looks thicker and most of the liquid has been evaporated. Use this syrup in the whipped cream recipe.
- 240ml Cold heavy cream or heavy whipping cream ( 35% fat percent minimum)
- 30 g Confectioners’ sugar / Icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp / 30 mlThickened grapefruit syrup (See instructions ahead)
- One drop of peach gel food color.
- Using stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip all the ingredients on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Do not over whip and use inmediatelly.
TO ASSEMBLE AND DECORATE THE CAKE
- Divide each cake into three even layers using a knife or a cake leveler (Chilled cakes work better here). You will have 9 small layers at the end.
- Brush some warm syrup into each layer and let it be absorbed for some minutes.
- Using a pastry bag filled with whipped cream and attached with a closed star tip (I used Winton 1B), pipe around the first cake layer.
- Repeat previous step until you have used three cakes layers, finish with some more cream.
- Use fresh or edible flowers to decorate, fresh blueberries and some crushed almonds.
- Keep the cakes refrigerated and enjoy.