07 Mar Banana Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate and Brown Sugar Buttercream
Posted at 16:24h in Cupcakes, Food Photography, Recipes
With frosting or without it, you will love this recipe!
Banana, Brown Sugar and Chocolate Cupcakes
- 100 g Cake flour
- 40 g Brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 ts. Salt
- 150 g Mashed Bananas
- 1 Large Egg
- 60 g Unsalted butter
- 60 g Milk
- 40 ml Oil
- 50 g Chopped Dark or Bittersweet Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and milk and oil just until lightly combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt on low speed for 2 minutes. Add the butter and 1/3 of the milk mixture and beat on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Starting on medium-low speed, gradually add the remaining wet mixture to the batter in three parts, beating on medium speed for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the mashed banans and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the choped Chocolate to the mixture and stir using a silicone spatula. Do not overmix.
- Divide the mixture evenly into cupcake tins filling each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way and dust some cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until just beginning to brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a rack.
Brown Sugar Italian Buttercream
- 70 g Egg Whites
- 100 g Brown Sugar
- 35 g Water
- 125 g Unsalted Butter, softened
- Combine sugar with water in a small saucepan, stir with a wooden spoon. Place saucepan over medium heat and cook, without stirring, until the syrup reaches 1168ºC / 244ºF on a candy thermometer ( About 8 – 10 minutes ).
- In the meantime, using a stand mixer fitted with the whip beater, whisk egg whites on low to blend. Then, raise the speed and whip on medium speed.
- As soon as the syrup reaches temperature, carefully and slowly with mixer running on medium-low speed, pour the hot syrup down the sides of the bowl. Whip for some minutes or until bowl feels cool. Stop mixing and swap out the whisk attachment for the paddle attachment.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, add in the butter, a few tablespoons at a time, until it is all incorporated. Rise to medium-high speed until the buttercream is significantly thicker, about 5 minutes. Add some drops of pink food coloring (Optional) and mix.
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 50 g Dark Chocolate
- 30 g Butter
- In a small saucepan mix both ingredients. Bring pan over medium heat until both ingredients dissolves completely. Let cool.
1. Pour the Buttercream into a piping bag adapted with a Wilton 4B piping tip.
2. Squeeze the air out of the piping bag. Pipe a swirl on to each cupcake. Start at the center of the cupcake, squeezing in a spiral motion, creating layers of buttercream and working in toward the center. Add some Chocolate Glaze on top and some sprinkles. I used Fancy Sprinkles.